We place a premium on compassionate, individualized care for mothers and their babies, exemplified not just in our personal approach to medical care but in our Small Wonders Birthing Center with its full range of pre-and postnatal support for mothers and babies.
Our 28-bed Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) provides extensive services with a seasoned, knowledgeable staff. Labor and delivery, our clinic, our operating rooms, and the emergency room all employ state-of-the art equipment. We have ultrasound equipment in labor and delivery, the clinic and the emergency room.
The clinic’s Prenatal Diagnostic Center is accredited by the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine. It is also certified by the State of California to provide genetic counseling, obstetrical ultrasounds and prenatal testing.
Birthing Center (Labor and Delivery)
In our Small Wonders Birthing Center, the birth of your child is an occasion to treasure for a lifetime. Our physicians and nursing staff provide the highest level of care, while encouraging patients and families to participate as members of the birthing team.
Our Maternal-Child services include:
- Newly expanded post-partum unit offering private rooms
- OB specialists and anesthesia providing in-house 24-hour care
- Nurse lactation consultants and breast feeding education
- High-risk pregnancy program
- Focused care for both diabetic patients and patients that develop gestational diabetes
- Outpatient clinic to provide continuity of care throughout your pregnancy and delivery
- Individualized delivery and pain control options based on the mother’s requests
- Immediate skin-to-skin contact between mother and baby after birth and during your stay
- Patient and family-centered care promoting “rooming-in” that enhances mother/baby bonding with your baby remaining by your side
- Level II Neonatal Intensive Care unit with 28 licensed beds
Labor and Delivery Options
We encourage every family to plan for their labor and delivery and notify their care team when they arrive about their plan. Our patients labor, deliver, and recover in private rooms where spouses and family can attend the birth. We offer:
- Labor that may include sitting or walking, and continuous or intermittent fetal heart rate monitoring
- In-house anesthesia coverage during childbirth 24-hours a day that includes epidurals
- Dedicated operating rooms available for cesarean births should the need arise
To encourage breastfeeding, mothers and babies will have immediate skin-to-skin contact following delivery and uninterrupted time for bonding. Within a time after delivery, you will be transferred with your baby to our newly expanded postpartum unit that offers private rooms. You and your baby will have an initial assessment by a registered nurse. As part of our patient and family-centered care, our “rooming-in” means your baby will remain with you throughout your stay and our care team will come to your room to perform the necessary examinations and screenings.
Our focus is on you and your new family and giving you all the information you need to care for yourself and your baby once you go home.
Choosing Kern Medical’s Small Wonders Maternal Child Center
To select Kern Medical as your birthing facility, you first need to establish care with an obstetrician who has privileges to deliver at our facility. You can schedule an appointment or find out more information by calling 326-2800.
Tours are available to visit the Small Wonders Maternal Child Center.
We encourage you to pre-register for the birth of your baby as soon as possible. By completing the required paperwork ahead of time, you will not need to do this on the day your baby is ready to come into the world.