Welcome new physicians!
David Aguirre, MD
Dr. David Aguirre, a Bakersfield native, is a doctor of internal medicine who transitioned to medicine from the business world.
- In addition to medical degree, holds business administration degree, owned and operated family business
- Completed internship and residency at Kern Medical
- Team physician for high school boys and girls soccer teams, Marine Corps League volunteer
Orestes A. Alvarez-Jacinto, MD
Dr. Orestes A. Alvarez-Jacinto is a highly experienced OB-GYN specialist who has practiced for more than 30 years.
- Has practiced in Wisconsin and Miami
- Experienced teacher/trainer
- Medical missions in Dominican Republic and India
Andrew “Drew” Cassidenti, MD
Dr. Andrew “Drew” Cassidenti is director of Kern Medical’s Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery Division. He is the specialty’s only three-year fellowship-trained and board-certified surgeon in Bakersfield.
- OB-GYN clinical professor at USC School of Medicine, leads multiple private practices
- Fellow of the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Diplomat of the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
- Numerous presentations before national and international audiences, actively engaged in research.
Tom Chao, MD
Dr. Tom Chao is an orthopedic surgeon with a specialty in sports medicine – and a background in the classics – who has worked with athletes ranging from college sports to the NFL. His work has appeared in numerous publications.
- As a sports medicine fellow at the University of Pittsburgh, served as assistant team physician for the Pittsburgh Steelers
- Bachelor of Arts degree in the classics, with emphasis on Greek and Latin
- Best Scientific Paper at 2013 meeting of the American Society for the Peripheral Nerve
Mehr Karamat, MD
Dr. Mehr Karamat is a board-certified psychiatrist who is experienced in psychiatric emergencies, geriatrics, cognitive and developmental disorders, chemical dependency, and mood and anxiety disorders.
- Skilled in psychodynamic and cognitive behavioral therapies
- Educated in England, West Indies, Minnesota, Pennsylvania and California
- Has supervised and trained medical students and residents in outpatient and emergency room settings, has worked with inpatients
Shakti Srivastava, MD
Dr. Shakti Srivastava is a family medicine hospitalist at Kern Medical who has worked in private practice, as medical director of a hospitalist group, and as a full-time hospitalist.
- Board-certified in family medicine and hospital medicine
- Completed internships in India and at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences in Little Rock, where he completed his residency
- As student, won badminton championships plus awards in drama, debate and medicine
Khoa Manh Tu, MD
Dr. Khoa Manh Tu is a Kern Medical Emergency Department physician who holds degrees in medicine, chemistry and business administration.
- Has conducted research on text messaging and smartphone applications in emergency medicine
- Has explored business aspects of minimally invasive medical devices and attracting investor capital
- First-degree black belt in aikido, has presented seminars and demonstrations